HISTORICAL MARKER IN EUREKA CEMETERY
Settlement in this area began in the 1840s. J. F. and J. M. Floyd, members of the local Richland Associate Reform Presbyterian Church organized in 1876, donated land here in 1878 for church and graveyard purposes. The first recorded burial was that of infant Nellie E. Sloan in 1885. The cemetery has been enlarged over the years and in 1995 contained about 13 acres. Buried here are local religious, education, and business leaders, elected officials, and veterans of conflicts ranging from the Civil War to World War II. The cemetery is maintained by the Eureka Cemetery Association. Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845 - 1995
Placed in Memory of Franklin L. Hodge by His Family
Historical Information About Eureka
EUREKA, TEXAS (Navarro County). Eureka is at the junction of U.S. Highway 287 and Farm roads 637 and 3243, eleven miles southeast of Corsicana in southeastern Navarro County. The settlement developed around a log schoolhouse known as Dunn's School just before the Civil War. In 1870 residents applied for a post office, and at a Grange meeting decided on the name Eureka. That same year a post office was opened in the home of P. Anderson, and within a few years a small town grew up there. By 1885 Eureka reported several steam gristmills and cotton gins, two churches, a district school, and an estimated population of twenty-five. In 1914 its population was about 100. Three local schools were in operation by 1906-two for white students, with a total enrollment of eighty-five, and one for black students, with an enrollment of sixty-one. In the mid-1930s Eureka had a school and six businesses. The Eureka school was consolidated with that of Mildred after World War II. The community's population continued to be estimated at about 100 until the mid-1960s, when it was reported as 125. At that time two churches and several businesses still remained at Eureka. In the early 1990s Eureka was a dispersed rural community with an estimated population of 243.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Annie Carpenter Love, History of Navarro County (Dallas: Southwestern, 1933). Wyvonne Putman, comp., Navarro County History (5 vols., Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975-84). Alva Taylor, History and Photographs of Corsicana and Navarro County (Corsicana, Texas, 1959; rev. ed., Navarro County History and Photographs, Corsicana, 1962).
Text printed on Historical Marker is listed below.